Sunday, June 13, 2010

2004 Journal Excerpts: January 11th - DAY 2

An early rise this morning, we get started preparing to leave Kigali and drive to Rhungheri. We arrived at Shyra Diocese with Bishop John and attended the church service. We listened as the service and message focused on offerings.  Not only the words were powerful, but as the congregation who had very little were moved they came to the front of the church giving their offerings; an ear of corn, a piece of cloth, a few pennies, potatoes. A true picture of giving and a powerful message for me - seeing these poor people who have experienced so much tragedy and daily hardship, but they give their one ear of corn to God and listen to his calling.  Truly remarkable and amazing.

After the service, children's voices rang out continuously with "muzungo" (white people) and they flurried around to see, touch and take us,these new visitors, in. Surrounded by little ones wanting to touch my hand or take a photo with me - I melted when the children who came up just wanted to hug and feel the love of friendly arms.

We made our way to the Sonrise School and Youth Center nearby. It was there I experienced for the first time the powerful experience of Rwandan song and dance.  The youth danced and sang for us for almost an hour and the melody of their voices raised in joy and excitement was like electricity running through every inch of my body - and unable to control or manage my body's reaction I wept and wept; so overwhelmed by the beauty and purity of their voices and movements.  I kept wondering ... what in the heck is going on with me - I'm a wacky emotional mess, and I realized I just needed to go with it.

I met a girl Jeanette there who wanted to desperately speak with me.  I'm not sure why or for what, but she spoke French and I could not. So instead, she did not leave my side for the rest of the day and just held my hand and kept hugging me.  One of the pastors came up to me and said to me, "she is so happy you are here, she knows that God has sent you here to her." I don't really know what that means, but that seems to be the norm for everything so far.

It was a powerful day for everyone and God was definitely present working in everyone's hearts and experiences in unique ways. I had the privilege of spending some one on one time with one of our hosts and another one of the pastors, both who encouraged me to dig deep into my heart and listen intently for God's message to me.  They spoke to may things on my heart, that I never shared and seemed to have some direct connect to my thoughts and heart.  It was encouraging, confusing and overwhelming all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment