Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A wrinkle in time


Preparing to leave for Rwanda was a whirlwind as usual, but when things finally slowed down on Thursday, the day of departure, I started to feel anxious wondering that if after so long things would be the same, I would be the same and it would all be as close to my heart as it has been for so many years.  The gap of 3.5 years from my last trip, felt as if it was 5 years or more – I’m not sure why.  Maybe because so much in my life has happened in the past 3-4 years or maybe because I have allowed life to often keep me so busy that I am not as focused as I once was on the special place that from the first visit when Rwanda stole my heart for its permanent home.

The long trip ahead all felt a bit surreal, but it was a great experience to have with my friend, Fred, who had never been to Rwanda but has had a great interest and heart for helping the needs of the people.  We struggled through 27 hours of cramped flights, bad airplane food and laughed all along the way. Thank goodness for great travel partners! We arrived in Kigali at 1:30 AM and it was familiar and comfortable. Like my friend says … going through the wardrobe into Narnia. So my return to Narnia began …

No comments:

Post a Comment